- Yang Jiechi, Chinese ambassador to the U.S., here to give a business briefing to MIC corporate members.
- Edward Alden, deputy Washington Bureau chief, Financial Times, here to present at the European Union symposium.
- Max Audley, senior partner, Faegre, Benson, Hobson, Audley LLP, London, here to present at the European Union symposium.
- Kjell Bergh, chairman, Borton Volvo and Borton Overseas, presented at the European Union symposium.
- Ambassador Frans Van Daele, Belgian ambassador to the U.S., here to present at the European Union symposium.
- Judith Cefkin, Office of Nordic and Baltic Affairs, U.S. Department of State, here to present at the European Union symposium.
- Ambassador Jan Eliasson, Swedish ambassador to the U.S., here to present at the European Union symposium.
- Dominique Decherf, consul general of France in Chicago, here to present at the European Union symposium.
- Bill George, former chairman and CEO Medtronic, presented at the European Union symposium.
- Jim Lawrence, executive vice president and CFO, General Mills, presented at the European Union symposium.
- Curtis Nelson, president and COO, Carlson Companies, presented at the European Union symposium.
- Andrew Seaton, consul general of Great Britain in Chicago, here to present at the European Union symposium.
- Krister Stoor, visiting professor of Scandinavian Studies, Gustavus Adolphus College, here to present a Sami oral history through the Yoik singing tradition, as part of MIC's Year of the Nordic Countries.
- Gro Harlem Brundtland, former prime minister of Norway and recent chair of the World Health Organization
- Melor Sturua, political columnist for the Russian daily Izvestia, and senior fellow, Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs
- Jim Klobuchar, former Minneapolis Star Tribune columnist, and Susan Cornell Wilkes, foundation and nonprofit manager
- Panel discussion on the Future of Korea, with Don Oberdorfer (journalist-in-residence at Johns Hopkins SAIS), Kim Hae-Yong (first secretary, Korean Embassy) and Dr. Richard Cronin (Asian Affairs specialist, U.S. Congressional Research Service.)
- Ambassador Richard Boucher, spokesman, U.S. State Department
- Peter Bell, president of CARE USA
- Ambassador Richard Ryan, permanent representative of Ireland to the United Nations
- Dr. Martin Palous, ambassador of the Czech Republic to the United States
- Davorin Kracun, ambassador of the Republic of Slovenia to the United States
- Thoraya Obaid, executive director of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- China and the United States: An Evolving Relationship - MIC's Annual Symposium - with the following speakers:
Arthur D. Collins, Jr., chairman and CEO, Medtronic, Inc.
Gao Xiqing, vice chairman of China's National Council for Social Security Fund
Harry Harding, dean of the Elliott School of International Affairs, George Washington University
Burton Levin, Sit professor of Asian Affairs at Carleton College
Stephen Sanger, chairman and CEO, General Mills, Inc.
Eugene Sit, chairman and chief investment office, Sit Investment Associates
Warren R. Staley, chairman and CEO, Cargill, Inc.
Xu Jinzhong, China's consul general in Chicago
Shirley Young, president of Shirley Young Associates
- Ambassador Thomas Pickering, senior vice prsident of international relations, The Boeing Company
- Consul General Robert Culshaw, British consul general, Chicago
- Ross Wilson, U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan
- J. Brian Atwood, dean of the Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs
- Minister Ricardo Lagorio, deputy chief of mission, Embassy of Argentina
- Charles Ries, principal deputy assistant secretary for European and Eurasian affairs in the U.S. State Department
- Karim Kawar, Jordan's ambassador to the U.S.
- Sir Christopher Meyer, Britain's ambassador to the U.S.
- Panel discussion on Governor Jesse Ventura's trade mission to China
- Edward DeCarbo, former director of education, Smithsonian's National Museum of African Art
- Shirley Williams, leader of the Liberal Democrats, House of Lords, U.K.
- Rupert Cornwell, Washington bureau chief of The London Independent,
- Marilyn Carlson Nelson, Carlson Companies chairman and CEO,
- Ian Craig, Technology Group partner, Dorsey & Whitney's London office,
- John Roper, Liberal Democrat chief whip in the House of Lords,
- John Alderdice, speaker of the Northern Ireland Assembly
- R.W. Apple, New York Times associate editor,
- Dagoberto Rodriguez Barrera, chief of the Cuban Interests Section, Embassy of Switzerland,
- His Excellency Michael Kergin, Canada's ambassador to the U.S.,
- Sir Thomas Harris, British consul general in New York and director-general of British Trade and Investment, USA,
- Consul General Robert Culshaw, British Consulate, Chicago,
- Dr. Shafeeq Ghabra, director of the Kuwait Information Office,
- Multinational panel to discuss September 11 attacks with University of Minnesota Humphrey fellows from Mexico, Algeria, Turkmenistan, Kenya and Peru,
- Anthony DePalma, New York Times international business correspondent,
- William Schulz, executive director of Amnesty International USA,
- Dr. Blair Ruble, director of the Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies, and Dr. Kate Schecter, program officer at the American International Health Alliance,
- The Honorable Thomas S. Foley, former U.S. ambassador to Japan (1997-2001),
- The Honorable Walter F. Mondale, former U.S. ambassador to Japan (1993-96),
- His Excellency Yukio Satoh, Japan's permanent representative to the United Nations,
- Chul Huh, first secretary in charge of political affairs at the Korean Embassy; Dr. William Taylor, senior advisor for international security affairs at the Center for Strategic and International Studies; and Joseph Winder, president of the Korea Economic Institute of America,
- James Rupert, Washington Post assistant foreign editor for Africa,
- His Excellency David Ivry, Israel's Ambassador to the U.S.,
- Dr. Jorge Castañeda, top advisor to Mexican President-elect Vicente Fox and international affairs professor at the National Autonomous University of Mexico,
- Clara Jusidman, secretary of social development, Mexico City,
- Jaime Chico, TELMEX vice chairman & CEO,
- David Trimble, 1998 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and leader of the Ulster Unionist Party, with Denis Haughey, leading member of Northern Ireland's Social Democratic and Labour Party,
- His Excellency Li Zhaoxing, Chinese ambassador to the U.S
- Ann Bancroft and Liv Arnesen, Antarctic explorers,
- Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, U.S. ambassador to UN,
Gro Harlem Brundtland
Former Prime Minister of Norway and
Recent Chair of the World Health Organization
<< World Affairs Main Page